Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default wiring advice

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:27:12 -0400, "Smarty" wrote:

pop,

My circuit has 3 switches, each of which control one color. The yellow
switch, for example, turns on the yellow bulbs. Same for red and green. Not
sure what you mean by saying: "Your schematic turns them all on at once".

Smarty

I remember hearing about something called a "progressive shorting
switch" once, but have no idea where to find one. It would be a rotary
switch capable of controlling 3 lights:

position 0: all off
position 1: 1 on, 2 & 3 off
position 2: 1 & 2 on, 3 off
position 3: all on

That sounds like it could be useful for those lights.

"Pop`" wrote in message
Smarty wrote:
I agree Terry. I wish I could express it more succinctly. I drew up a
schematic and have attached it here as a .jpg file. This picture is
worth at least a few hundred words..... Hope it helps the original
poster and that he / she can download it.

Smarty

"Terry" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:04:12 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

When connecting "one switch and one light together" per the
instructions below, you actually need to connect the green switch's
unused terminal to the unused terminal on each of the 3 green
lights, then connect the yellow switch's unused terminal to the
unused terminal on each of the 2 yellow lights, and finally the
last switch, red's unused terminal, to the unused terminal on each
of each of 2 red lights.
Boy that sounds awfully complicated.

Umm, don't you want a separate switch for EACH light? Your schematic
turns them all on at once.

Pop`

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov