Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default wiring advice

Beautiful! Precise, succinct, mathematically accurate. Minor nit....use of
"helix" in definition's final phrase "scale of another helix" might cause my
English teacher to challenge the recursive reference. I also resorted to a
little Google help on this one and came up with this:

http://dict.die.net/helix/

I still prefer the definition where I get to wave my hand around, or get to
say something like:

"A helix is nothing more than the shape of a screw" and leave the rest up to
the imagination......

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Smarty" wrote:
I am reminded of the challenge I was once given by an English teacher:

Describe in writing a helix without using either a drawing or your hands
illustrate......

Hexix: A curve described by the parametric equation

x = cos(t)
y = sin(t)
z = t

where t ranges over the real numbers, or any curve that results from a
rotation, translation, reflection, or change of scale of another helix.

--
--Tim Smith