Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Basement water questions

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:44:59 -0700, Banty wrote:

What the lawyer will go through with one is not only the points of the
law, but what can be shown in court. The conclusion often is not be the
satisfying and lucrative one that people seem to envision when they give
this advice.

I had water problems - there was evidence of previous water problems in
the house, but no way to show proof that the current sump pump and cove
system on one side of the basement to address that, didn't fix it.
Basement was mostly finished and in apparent active use. Water was
coming in the *other* side - the side with no efflorescence, etc., to
show previous problems. So - how do I prove it wasn't a change since I
moved in? Get neighbors to turn the previous owner in? But they only
moved one county away, and still keep friendships going. And I have to
live next to them, pushing too far might give me another set of
problems.

So, in practicality, it's buyer beware + fix the problems you do find.

Banty

The lawyer can subpoena repair records from the previous owner. Perhaps
credit card charges or similar stuff looking for plumbing bills related to
the water problem. A private investigator can be hired. if the previous
owner is caught lying, and compounding it by lying in court, hes gonna pay
a nice toll.

Still not easy, but it is doable.