jim rozen

Default Do ALL chains say "do not use for lifting"

In article , Old Nick says...

SORRY. I HAVE TO DO THIS. I DIGRESS.

Here I will interpose a story. I was buying a piece of gear. The
seller needed to remove another piece of gear, tractor-towed, to allow
testing of the bit I wanted. The PTO shaft of the bit I wanted got in
the way of moving the other bit. "Hold this out of the way" he says. I
was not happy, but tried to be a "nice guy". So he starts to drag the
other piece out, behind 100HP of cabined tractor, and I am caught
between the gear I want to test (2 tonne +) and the approaching piece
of steel flotsam trapped behind the 100HP tractor. I yell. I scream.
Of course he cannot hear me. It passes me by with A 2" gap (which was
full of smelly brown matter!) and I escape without injury.

WHEN WORKING WITH MORE THAN YOURSELF, THE DANGER INSCREASES AS THE
CUBE OF THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE INVOLVED.

Digression gladly enjoyed. But what about the *rest* of the
story, about what happened after the lift was done, and the two
of you had a 'discussion?'

My digression:

I had been given an old shop-smith which was pretty much complete.
It sat in my garage and took up a good deal of room for quite some
time. Quite some room. Turns out a co-worker found out I had it,
and in a fit of brilliance I donated it to him.

He was going to use it for spare parts, he had several others.

He showed up at my house one afternoon when I was out, but
ms. Mulligan was at home. He thought he could load the thing
into his van on his own, but she went out to assist. She's
actually quite strong. So the two of them manage to get one
end up into the van, but it gets hung inside there. She said
it was pretty obvious that the owner would have to re-shuffle
the existing contents of the van to make the thing fit, but
in her words "he didn't agree and was in a hurry."

So he goes into the van and tries to steer the thing, she's outside
holding up the other end. He tells her to push, so she starts
in with a bit of force. No good.

"Push harder" he says.

After the fact she said that she was postive he would be fetched
up between the machine and stuff inside the van if she dug in hard.
So she began to bring up the force gradually, to protect him.

"Is that all you can push!!?" Now he's getting impatient.

thought bubble over ms Mulligan's head OK you asked for it...

So she throttled all the way up and pinned him good inside
his van. Oh the humanity!!

Jim

please reply to: