Posted to alt.home.repair
John Ross John Ross is offline

Default What is a Journeyman Eletrician?

I was wondering if the term "Journeyman Electrician" has a specific
meaning, or is used loosely (or is a Union term).

I did a web search and the definition was "works under a master
electrician". However, I did find a few states that offered license
tests to apparently be an "official" journeyman electrician (but
wasn't clear if you could call yourself that without a license).

The reason I ask is I have seen some ads on craigslist in my area that
say something like "Journeyman electrician with 15 years experience,
work done to meet NEC requirements." And they seem to offer not just
"minor" type work.

I have some minor type electrical things like changing switches and I
want some receptacles looked at to see if they can be grounded ('60s
house with hit and miss grounding). Anyway, I don't feel comfortable
with electric work and I don't feel comfortable with the electrical
skills of any "handymen" I have met (especially with older houses).
Anyway, for simple stuff it is a bit expensive to hire an eletrical
contractor so I was thinking about one of these "journeymen." What I
want to know is if someone specifically calls themself a "journeyman
electrician", do they have to have a certificate or license or is
this a vague term? What should I ask them (i.e. do you have a license
or certificate to prove you are a "journeyman").

And, in general, if someone says they have 15 years experience and are
a journeyman electrician, would you have any reservations about using
them for basic type stuff? Would you insist on seeing proof (and what
would you ask for?). Again, I just don't know if this term means
anything legally, skill-wise, or otherwise. Any comments appreciated.

--
John