Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is a Journeyman Eletrician?

I was wondering if the term "Journeyman Electrician" has a specific
meaning, or is used loosely (or is a Union term).

I did a web search and the definition was "works under a master
electrician". However, I did find a few states that offered license
tests to apparently be an "official" journeyman electrician (but
wasn't clear if you could call yourself that without a license).

The reason I ask is I have seen some ads on craigslist in my area that
say something like "Journeyman electrician with 15 years experience,
work done to meet NEC requirements." And they seem to offer not just
"minor" type work.

I have some minor type electrical things like changing switches and I
want some receptacles looked at to see if they can be grounded ('60s
house with hit and miss grounding). Anyway, I don't feel comfortable
with electric work and I don't feel comfortable with the electrical
skills of any "handymen" I have met (especially with older houses).
Anyway, for simple stuff it is a bit expensive to hire an eletrical
contractor so I was thinking about one of these "journeymen." What I
want to know is if someone specifically calls themself a "journeyman
electrician", do they have to have a certificate or license or is
this a vague term? What should I ask them (i.e. do you have a license
or certificate to prove you are a "journeyman").

And, in general, if someone says they have 15 years experience and are
a journeyman electrician, would you have any reservations about using
them for basic type stuff? Would you insist on seeing proof (and what
would you ask for?). Again, I just don't know if this term means
anything legally, skill-wise, or otherwise. Any comments appreciated.

--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

A Master, Journeyman and Apprentice electrician are state licensing
categories. Plumbers can have the same categories.
Qualifications to achieve each category are specified by the state and
include:
Length of employment with a qualified employer (Master Electrician)
Passing a competency test (re-testing required)
Purchasing the license

The employer has to submit paperwork stating that the person has
worked for them for the required number of years.

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 02:28:22 -0700, John Ross
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

technicly, journeyman refers to a skilled person capable of working
independantly from a set of blue prints. He would be a helper up until he
received that title.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

As others have said, a journeyman is generally referring to a competent
mechanic in whatever field, however you need to check with your local
government to see if these folks can legally work for you

"John Ross" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Ross wrote:
I was wondering if the term "Journeyman Electrician" has a specific
meaning, or is used loosely (or is a Union term).

There's the joke about the young man who started a career on a tuna fishing
boat. For one year, he was an Apprentice Baiter. For the next five years, he
would be a Journeyman Baiter. After that, he was eligible to become a
Master.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/4/2007 6:15 AM Tom Kendrick said the following:
A Master, Journeyman and Apprentice electrician are state licensing
categories. Plumbers can have the same categories.
Qualifications to achieve each category are specified by the state and
include:
Length of employment with a qualified employer (Master Electrician)
Passing a competency test (re-testing required)
Purchasing the license

The employer has to submit paperwork stating that the person has
worked for them for the required number of years.

In the NY County where I live, electricians (or any other home
contractors) do not need a license to work on a house, except for the
two cities in my County, where they do have to be licensed.
In the previous NY County I lived in, the contracting business has to
have a County permit and the permit number must be displayed on their
vehicles. Additionally, every worker has to be individually licensed,
and any homeowner wanting to do his own home electric work has to apply
for a temporary license.
In both counties, all finished work has to be approved by an inspector,
appointed by the local government, before a Certificate of Occupancy is
issued.
Curiously, these two counties abut each other.
If I had to do it all over again, I would prefer that all workers be
licensed. Not that everything isn't working right, but the wiring and
plumbing weren't done neatly. The plumbing in the utility room looks
like it was done by the designer of the Windows 'pipe' screensaver, and
the cabling for the TVs was done in series (one cable through the house
and split in each room) rather than parallel (each room having a 'home
run'), requiring that I had to have it rewired.

wrote:

[...]

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Ross wrote:
[...]

There are at least 51 different answers o that question - 50 states
licensing
requirements, plus DC. (No, not direct current.)

In addition within a state there ay be addioal / different rules for
counties and cities.

Rule of thumb, and it will vary by juridiction, a person with 7 or more
years experience working under supervision of a verysenio electrician,
and who has enough sense and skill so that s/he can work a job on
their own, unspervised, but not seasoned enough to teach others.

Master, journeyman and apprentice are concepts with very old roots in
the English language, going back to medieval guilds. The application of
the
words has changed. In some places (east coast US big cites ?)it may now
have to do wih status / tenure / time in a unon; other places it has more
to do with state licensing, again based on years of exerience and passing
various levels of exams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message

Master, journeyman and apprentice are concepts with very old roots in
the English language, going back to medieval guilds.

Did they have much work for journeymen electricians in the dark age?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message

Master, journeyman and apprentice are concepts with very old roots in
the English language, going back to medieval guilds.

Did they have much work for journeymen electricians in the dark age?

Good one Ed!

Thanks for the chuckle.

Think wheelwrights, blacksmiths, glass makers, bakers, printers, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
But doesn't work that way in real life. Big surprise. It, like a
degree from college, says that the person has been exposed to a certain
number of class hours and has taken a certain number of tests, and (in
this case) has worked a certain number of hours on the job under the
supervision of a journeyman or someone similar. That is a LONG way from
guaranteeing competence. MIGHT suggest a certain minimum competance, but
that about all.

But in the real world, a single journeyman electrician has more common sense
than an entire class of Liberal Arts majors.