Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg Art Greenberg is offline

Default It got me. -Kickback

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 17:13:27 -0400, Stoutman wrote:
Had my 'first' experience with kickback today. I was cutting a small 4" by
4" square board of walnut for some shims and 'wham', right in the lower
stomach (off to the side). It felt like I was kicked by a mule. Almost
made a trip to the ER to check for internal damage. Just a big bruise and
a damaged ego. Had me thinking that if I had a more powerful saw this would
have been a lot worse.

Could have been prevented but I was just quickly cutting a few shims.

Stupid stupid stupid.

NO splitter. NO push stick.

Got me thinking that a leather shop apron would of helped. Any of you guys
use them for a last line of defense? Where is a good place to buy a good
one?

Forget the apron, unless it has a steel plate in it.

For that kind of cut, use a sled.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net