Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Trilevel house siding deteriorating at roof junction

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:08:04 -0600, John Keith wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:25:26 -0400, mm
wrote:

Is trilevel the same as split level? Every split level I've ever seen
has a two story part and a one story part next to it, at a middle
level, so I suppose they could all be called trilevel.

This house has the garage/LR/DR/Kitchen on the ground level (like a
ranch) then there is a level half underground with the rec room
accessed by a 6 or 7 step stairway and above this area are the BR and
bathrooms also accessed by a 6 or step stariway. I've always heard
this style referred to as trilevel, maybe this terminology is a
function of geography.

OK. We call these split-levels in the midwest (regardless of what
rooms are on what floors, but I think yours is the most common).

In NYC we don't discuss such things.

In Baltimore, they have them but I can't remember anyone ever calling
them anything. I havent' read a real estate listing for a quarter
century. I know someone who lives in one. Someday I'll ask her what
she calls it.

I'll try to post a picture. But the more I think about it (without
getting up on the roof) I believe the siding is probably in very close
proximity to the roof sheathing and the water is just wicking up into
the panels.

.
John Keith