Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Waterline bursting

Eigenvector wrote:
Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I
need another adjective here) when pressure to the line is
fluctuating? I'm wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is
traumatic to the lines more so than the water pressure dropping
during the day because all your neighbors take a dump at the same
time or because the city is fooling around with the pumps.

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly
to avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?

I can't help with the grammar, or spelling, but I can say that it is
true that a water line will be more likely to bust when the pressure is
increasing. However, any pipe or plumbing fixture that is going to bust due
to daily pressure fluctuations is going to bust anyway very very soon.
Shutting off your water at the main every day would be far more likely to
cause various problems that it would to reduce them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit