Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterline bursting

Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I need
another adjective here) when pressure to the line is fluctuating? I'm
wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is traumatic to the lines
more so than the water pressure dropping during the day because all your
neighbors take a dump at the same time or because the city is fooling around
with the pumps.

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly to
avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I need
another adjective here)

I'm not a grammar expert, but I'd call those verbs.

when pressure to the line is fluctuating? I'm
wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is traumatic to the lines
more so than the water pressure dropping during the day because all your
neighbors take a dump at the same time or because the city is fooling around
with the pumps.

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly to
avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 7:13?pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

"Eigenvector" wrote:
Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I need
another adjective here)

I'm not a grammar expert, but I'd call those verbs.

when pressure to the line is fluctuating? I'm
wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is traumatic to the lines
more so than the water pressure dropping during the day because all your
neighbors take a dump at the same time or because the city is fooling around
with the pumps.

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly to
avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?- Hide quoted text -

provided your lines are junk it shouldnt matter. you can add a
pressure regulator valve if your truly concerned.

things like washing machine hoses burst often in comparison with
regular water lines

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I
need another adjective here) when pressure to the line is
fluctuating? I'm wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is
traumatic to the lines more so than the water pressure dropping
during the day because all your neighbors take a dump at the same
time or because the city is fooling around with the pumps.

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly
to avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?

I can't help with the grammar, or spelling, but I can say that it is
true that a water line will be more likely to bust when the pressure is
increasing. However, any pipe or plumbing fixture that is going to bust due
to daily pressure fluctuations is going to bust anyway very very soon.
Shutting off your water at the main every day would be far more likely to
cause various problems that it would to reduce them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Obviously I didn't phrase it properly, because you answered the question
despite your attempts to puzzle out what I "really" wanted to say.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 3, 6:10 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I need
another adjective here) when pressure to the line is fluctuating? I'm
wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is traumatic to the lines

Yeah, I'm sure the lines will be there wondering when the next drink
will come...

Pressure fluctuations of the type/magnitude you're describing are so
well within operational/design/manufactured spec's as to be
essentially constant pressure. A water hammer on a closing valve is
far more of a shock than a system-wide pressure fluctuation...

Find something else to worry over...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
[...]
I can't help with the grammar, or spelling, but I can say that it is
true that a water line will be more likely to bust when the pressure is
increasing. However, any pipe or plumbing fixture that is going to bust
due to daily pressure fluctuations is going to bust anyway very very soon.
Shutting off your water at the main every day would be far more likely to
cause various problems that it would to reduce them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Obviously I didn't phrase it properly, because you answered the question
despite your attempts to puzzle out what I "really" wanted to say.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

I don't know why you are going back to the drawing board; we all
know that your galvanized pipes are just waiting to do you dirty at
1:37 AM within the next couple of weeks. All the while your blue PEX
is just chillin'.

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I need
another adjective here) when pressure to the line is fluctuating? I'm
wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is traumatic to the lines
more so than the water pressure dropping during the day because all your
neighbors take a dump at the same time or because the city is fooling
around with the pumps.

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly to
avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?

I can't see that it makes a difference either way.
If you turn them off, they can't burst in the middle of the night; but I
hate what they do when you run water for the first time.
I expect vitually everyone leaves the water on; so if you are taking a
poll...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:53:51 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly to
avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?

If your that worried it's time to replace it. Lines in good shape don't
burst.

I still turn any and all valves slowly. I find I can detect leaks
early and shut the valve off quickly.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

I still turn any and all valves slowly. I find I can detect leaks
early and shut the valve off quickly.

--
Oren

over how many years how many burst pipes have you found? how many
leaks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 9:13 pm, " wrote:
I still turn any and all valves slowly. I find I can detect leaks
early and shut the valve off quickly.

--
Oren

over how many years how many burst pipes have you found? how many
leaks?

Just found 10-15 on my brother's house. It was vacant in January when
the furnace crapped out... :-(

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 02:13:36 -0000, "
wrote:

I still turn any and all valves slowly. I find I can detect leaks
early and shut the valve off quickly.

--
Oren

over how many years how many burst pipes have you found? how many
leaks?

One frozen copper pipe split (not related to valves).

Numerous leaks at valves .. when I have turned them (packing)

The plastic handle for a water softener by-pass valve snapped one day
and I had one heck of a water mess. I now use metal handles.