Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Waterline bursting

Just a question of general observation more than a specific question.

In general do more water lines burst/leak/give way/explode/(come on I need
another adjective here) when pressure to the line is fluctuating? I'm
wondering if shutting off the water at the meter is traumatic to the lines
more so than the water pressure dropping during the day because all your
neighbors take a dump at the same time or because the city is fooling around
with the pumps.

Is it better to open and shut water valves slowly rather than quickly to
avoid sending pressure spikes or does it not matter?