Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default tires in storage

On Jun 3, 2:48 pm, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
In article , wer25
@example.com (Walter R.) says...

Brings up the question: How long will tires last when they are in use? I
drive 3000 miles a year. My tires are 8 years old. They have a lot of tread
left but, are they still save? Do tires last longer when they are mounted
and in use?

Depends on the tire. I had a set of 6-ply Goodrich All Terrain that ran
for a decade, and were still on the pickup and looking good when I sold
it. It's best to protect them from the sun.

And as much or more than even the tire, all the other peripheral
conditions that are too numerous and variable to control to be able to
generalize.

My general feeling is that for local, low- to mid-speed driving, as
long as the tire has been maintained at proper inflation, etc., and
shows no visible signs of _extreme_ UV damage, etc., they're "safe
enough". I would be somewhat nervous about taking that same tire and
start cross-country on an interstate trip, especially in hot weather.
Might be fine, but I'd far prefer to be safe than sorry. Before I
started in a case like that, I'd put a new set on. Otherwise, I'd run
them until something happened...

Obviously, ymmv...