Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Trilevel house siding deteriorating at roof junction

On Jun 3, 3:18 pm, dk wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:17:00 -0600, John Keith wrote:
My next door neighbor has a trilevel house and the siding on the top
level is deteriorating at the point where it meets the roof of the
middle level. What is the correct construction practice for this
situation to prevent the problem in the future? Is this a place where
flashing is required (from the ground I can't tell if any flashing was
used) or was the siding just extended to close to the shingles such
that water flowing down the roof would just soak up into the siding?

John Keith

You have to provide much more.

Post some pictures.

Siding should be held off of the shingles by a few inches. It could
also be splash from water falling off of an eave above as well.
Flashing would be tucked behind the siding, and prevents water
intrusion into the house itself.