Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default inside of house does not cool off... at all?

On Jun 2, 10:06 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

When the sun hits the glass, not so much. Our retractable awnings are an
absolute neccesity.

Ah, awnings. They were on most every house when I was a kid, a long time
ago. Now we just stick a cooker box in the window and suck up electricity
instead. A decent tree can cool your house as much as a 12000 Btu AC and at
no cost.

Agreed, we have trees, but the upstairs still gets hot. After reading
this thread and seeing that several people recommended window fans, I
thought "what the hell?" when someone says "window fan" I think of
those cheezy little plastic things. Well I did a web search and found
that there are *real* window fans made; I've already ordered a big Air
King unit, we will see what happens. I suspect that whoever suggested
that the attic is getting hot is correct, although there's a ludicrous
amount of insulation up there. If the window fan does not do the
trick, I will look into some kind of powered attic ventilation. My
house is odd; the roof does not overhang the exterior walls at all,
although there are large vents at the top of the exterior walls so one
of those would be a good place to put a thermostatically controlled
fan.

nate