Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc
Mr Guest Mr Guest is offline

Default Mysterious exploding toughened glass pane... WTF???!!!

Steve Walker wrote (apparently) in uk.misc on Sun 03 Jun 2007
17:13:42:

Mr Guest wrote:
bof wrote (apparently) in uk.misc on Sat 02 Jun 2007 20:56:34:

In message , Huge
writes
Nickel suphide inclusions.

http://www.glassonweb.com/articles/article/330/

Makes toughened glass shatter spontaneously.

Astonishing really, a single 100um particle changes phase after
10 years and an entire window comes showering down from the
11th floor. Beats a butterfly beating its wings in China
causing storm in Harrogate.

Thankfully I live the "other" side of Starbeck to Harrogate. No
storms here, thanks...

Aye, but that level crossing is a menace.....

To say the least, I always leave extra time if I have to go that way
to get anywhere and turn up 10-15 minutes early or bang on the time
I need to. A lot of Cragrats go via Killinghall or Woodlands to get
to Harrogate instead.

If I remember correctly something my dad told me, there was a plan
(in the 1930s?) to have a flyover from the top of Starbeck (The
Avenue area, I think), over the railway and then above the current
road up to The Stray and then cutting across to get to the town
centre. Not surprised that they didn't bother, but it would look
kind of interesting, all the same.

In one of the better ale and food pubs round here (The Malt Shovel
in Brearton), the barman used to give people directions to various
places via St. Arbeck. Which was always quite amusing.
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere