Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default tires in storage

CJT wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

Eigenvector wrote:

How long would you expect a set of car tires to last when stored in
the garage?

By stored I mean dismounted, no rims, no wheels, kept out of sunlight
as best you could.

Just wanted to add, once you start seeing cracks in the sidewall,
you know it is too long.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

So far as I can tell the rubber looks to be just fine. I guess I'm a
little worried seeing how they've been in the garage for about 6
years. Only way to tell is to mount them and see what happens I guess
- no sense tossing a set of 4 completely good tires without attempting
to see how they'll do??

FWIW, I had a set of Pirelli's on my special edition Fiat that showed
signs of deterioration (i.e., tread separated and they went flat) after
about 15 years in the garage. YMMV.

A friend of mine bought an old Studebaker with some new-looking but
obviously at least 10 year old cheap radial tires on it. After a couple
days in the sun, the carcasses all expanded and the tires all threw off
their tread - without the car moving at all!

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel