Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default tires in storage

"Red" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 2, 8:54 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

I don't know what the maximum is, but I've used tires that were over five
years old, driven on tires that were well over 10 years old. and have
seen
cars with tires that were 15+ years old. You may get more detailed
information on an automotive newsgroup, especially if one is devoted to
classics or antiques.

Makes one wonder about these independent tire stores & Co-ops. How
long have some of the more uncommon sizes been sitting in storage
waiting for a buyer?

Given modern tax laws that penalize holding on to warehouse queen inventory,
at maufacturer/wholesale/retail levels, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Even
for somewhat common sizes, in recent years I have been told a couple of
times that I will have to come back Thursday, when the truck comes in. Like
any other retail chain for consumers, they only stock what history shows
they can sell quickly.

Of course, if you are talking real oddball stuff, like licensed 3rd-party
repro Polyglas GT redline Bias Plies for your '69 'cuda show car, where they
only dig out the molds and run a batch every five years, yeah, there might
be cause for concern. 'NOS' is not a good thing for shelf-life parts.

aem sends...