Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Ratchet socket wrench question

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 17:49:09 -0700, dpb wrote:

But one day I might. I had a 67 Catalina with a 400 cid engine and I
couldn't get anything in to change the number 1 sparkplug, not even
the socket alone. I'm sure they made a socket for this purpose. I
just didn't have it. (I ended up removing the big cast iron AC
bracket and taking it to a shop to get a a piece cut out of it. to get
access to the plug.

I had a '69 Charger w/ "only" the 383 and #8 on it was only accessible
w/ a "shorty" plug socket w/ the hex on the rear for a tappet-wrench

Maybe I needed a shorty socket too? At the time I knew a small
machine shop I could sort of use, even though I had no right to. I
was sort of scared everytime I went there, but this time the manager
of the shop took the part from me and cut it himself.

I only went there about once a year. I sort of wanted to do it
myself, but I was glad to get it done without being kicked out.

thin open-end wrench to turn about 1/32 of a revolution per
try...until I learned the "trick".

Shop foreman told me -- you set a jack under the flywheelhousing and
jack a couple of strokes -- then there's sufficient clearance for a
wobblehead...

This old guy and worked pits for "The King" in his earliest days w/
Mopar and was basically the font of all knowledge Mopar-related...

I need someone like that.