Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default tires in storage

On Jun 2, 8:54 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in message

. ..

How long would you expect a set of car tires to last when stored in the
garage?

By stored I mean dismounted, no rims, no wheels, kept out of sunlight as
best you could.

I don't know what the maximum is, but I've used tires that were over five
years old, driven on tires that were well over 10 years old. and have seen
cars with tires that were 15+ years old. ...

Oh, yes...

I have numerous tires on farm equipment that are easily 15-20 years
old and quite servicable, for the use. Don't think I'd put one back
on the pickup and take off across country with one, however!

The old (1958) grain truck which is only used for very local light
hauling any more has tires that are easily 20 years old on it, best as
I could guess based on the manufacturer info (they bear an old Co-op
logo from at least two reorginizations prior to final dissolution of
the Farmland and I can vaguely recall when those logo shifts occurred
as I can remember some of those changes and what was going on at the
time. I have no qualms driving it at country road speeds and w/
moderate loads but again I'd not put 600 bu of grain on it and start
off on a long distance haul, either!

I'm thinking it depends a whole lot on the circumstances but in
general I'd think 10 years would be pretty safe in reasonable storage
conditions...