Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default tires in storage

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 2, 7:16 pm, dpb wrote:
On Jun 2, 6:38 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

How long would you expect a set of car tires to last when stored in the
garage?

By stored I mean dismounted, no rims, no wheels, kept out of sunlight
as
best you could.

Covered you could keep them completely out of sunlight. Don't really
have any feel other than "quite a long time" -- guess how comfortable
I'd be driving on them would depend on what kind of tire and on what
kind of vehicle and driving they were used eventually.

Like Joseph, I also have a "meant to" to add...

I think temperature control, especially excessive heat, is important,
too....if the garage isn't climate-controlled and gets quite hot
during the summer months, I'd expect that to shorten expected lifetime
significantly as well.

Doesn't sound like storing tires in the garage is a smart idea. In fact it
doesn't sound like storing tires is a good idea at all - unless you have 2
sets you routinely change at the seasons.