Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default tires in storage

"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
Brings up the question: How long will tires last when they are in use? I
drive 3000 miles a year. My tires are 8 years old. They have a lot of
tread left but, are they still save? Do tires last longer when they are
mounted and in use?

There is no universal answer- depends way too much on local environmental
conditions like heat and sunlight exposure, how well they were kept
inflated, ad infinitum. I don't remember the figure, but several tire
companies and car companies now recommend changing at X years or Y miles,
whichever comes first.

Best answer is to inspect and check pressure regularly. If you see sidewalls
starting to crack, probably time to start looking at ads. I have one car I
barely use, and the tires still look new after 4 years. The daily driver, I
think the oldest tire left is maybe 7 years old, moved from the car it
replaced, along with the rims. (That car is a ligtning rod- I keep getting
damaged tires from road crap, so far replaced at pro-rated discount under
warranty.) When you take it in for an oil change, have the pit guy use his
flashlight and inspect the inner sidewalls of the tires, too.

Having said all that, if the tires were five or six years old, and I was
planning a cross-country trip, I'd be inclined to throw a fresh set on there
just for the hell of it. Murphy being Murphy, the tire that fails will be in
the middle of freaking nowhere, 51 miles to nearest town, at 2 am. (Can you
tell I'm not a fan of those tiny skinny spare tires they provide these
days?)

aem sends...