Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C system advice for 2 story residential

Just cause your system has a 3 ton name plate, doesn't guarantee
you're getting three tons of cooling. I'm remembering a call I
had last year. the fellow had a 3.5 ton AC, and it wasn't cooling
the house. He was thinking maybe needed 5 tons. I asked his
permission to service the unit, and when I finished, it was
cooling just fine.

You may replace the system if you like, but it's possible that a
good servicing would get you by for several more years.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...
: We have a 40 year old Florida home 2450 sq. ft. with large
windows;
: also 1 acre lot with lots of big/tall oak shade trees. We
currently
: have an outside older 3 ton Trane A/C unit (rated 10 seer)
which is
: underpowered but with the help of a couple of upstairs window
units we
: do ok. I think its time to upgrade/replace the Trane; what I am
: thinking is a 4 ton higher efficient (maybe 14 or 16) unit. My
wife
: thinks that if we replace with another 3 ton higher efficient
AND
: install a smaller unit for upstairs - programmable so that the
bottom
: primarily runs during the day and the top primarily at night
(upstairs
: is all bedrooms) we would possibly be more efficient and
cooler.
: Obviously big up front install costs for upstairs unit but if
we are
: willing to absorb those - is this usually the more efficient
way to
: go? Thanks in advance - Bill
: