Posted to alt.home.repair
FrankOOOOO FrankOOOOO is offline

Default installing electricly controlled master valve on landscape sprinkler system

I'm going to install a master valve that is electrically controlled
( 24 Volts) inside the basement where the sprinkler control box and
the water feed to the sprinklers are located.
My question is about the type of valve to use.
I have a Honeywell V8043 E 1012 that is a 2 position zone valve.
It cost me about $70.
When I look for info on the web, I see that there are solenoid valves
that could control the water flow but they cost $125.
It would be a brass body with 3/4" copper sweat fitting controlled by
24v ac.
Would the less expensive zone valve do same job as the more expensive
solenoid valve?