Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Drywall & Receptacles

aemeijers wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Nate Nagel wrote:

Kitep wrote:

I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of
the holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too
large, so that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going
till it's flush with the box, which of course if flush with the stud.
So, the plug sits about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is
to buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any
suggestions?

I swear I saw metal support plates for just this problem in the dale
electric catalog but I can't seem to come up with the right combination
of search terms to find you a link to their web site. I was going to
order a couple next time I had to order any electrical supplies and I
haven't had to order anything in a while.

nate

found what I was thinking of

http://dale-electric.com/search.php?...ultsPerPage=25

Nope, that ain't it- those are clips to retain a floating box. What OP
wants, and I'm suprised nobody mentioned it, since they are discussed on
here regularly, are box extension rings. All the big-boxes carry them,
2-packs for about three bucks. Usually plastic these days. I had to install
several here, because previous owner was an idiot, and didn't reposition
boxes when he added T&G in living room and rocked garage, badly. Code does
NOT allow just using standoffs or washers- no flammable materials can face
the installed device.

aem sends.....

Nope, I know what you're thinking of...

http://minerallac.com/minerallac%20catalog.pdf

this actually is intended for just this application. I need some
because the plaster in my walls is busted away around some receptacles
just around the plaster ears for some reason. scroll down to pages 27
and 155 and you'll see what I mean.

Oddly enough, the Madison hangers are on the very previous pages of the
catalog

nate

dammit, ya made me look

--