Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall & Receptacles

Caddy makes something for this:
http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcDvcLvlrRetnr.asp
You will probably have to go to an electrical supply company to get them.
Make sure that you have the part number.

You could also try using oversized metal wall plates to provide support.

I have used 6/32 hex nuts behind the device strap to keep the device from
being pushed back. I have also seen other electricians use a piece of solid
#14 or #12 copper wire coiled around the screw.

"Kitep" wrote in message
I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of the
holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so
that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's

flush
with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits
about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is

buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any suggestions?