Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Drywall & Receptacles

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:49:52 -0400, "Kitep" wrote:

I bought a house, a real fixer-upper One problem is that a lot of the
holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so
that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's flush
with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits
about 1/2 inch too deep.

What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is to
buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any suggestions?

Buy longer screws. I have never tried to buy any, but what we used on
the job was some very small diameter pneumatic tubing cut to length
for the spacers.

You should also consider getting some insulated gaskets for the
outlets. Using them on the outer walls are great power savers.