Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default mower filter replacement

wrote:
I recently was given a craftsman mower with a Tecumseh engine by a
neighbor who inherited it but had never used it. I replaced the blade,
plug, filter and oil. The gas tank was dry, and when I filled it for
the first time, the gas leaked straight through the carb and dripped
out the air filter. From reading through previous posts I assume the
float is stuck, and I plan on cleaning the carb to correct this.

Call me a cheapskate, but do I need to buy another filter if the new
one I put in there was soaked in gasoline? Or will this have no effect
on performance or safety? Thanks for any advice.

I had same problem, I rebuilt carb and replaced float.

I had the air filter (cylinder shaped thing, paper / cardboard center,
maybe 4 inches long, maybe 2 inches diameter) out of the filter
housing and sitting on a workbench in backyard for 3 - 4 days.
No rain, almost no humidity. Filter dried real well.
I just reused it. Not even a gas odor to it by the time
I put it back in.

So far, no problems.

YMMV.