Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default inside of house does not cool off... at all?

Noozer wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Hi all,

well, it's finally summer here in DC. Yay. House has no A/C. Yeah, I
know, but I loved the place and there's lots of trees for shade. Here's
the problem; it gets up over 90 degrees outside during the day. With the
windows closed and blinds drawn it gets up to about 80 in the upstairs
(rest of house is comfortable when I get home from work.) As soon as the
outside temp drops below the inside temp, I will open all the upstairs
windows and turn on the cheap floor fan that the PO's left for me to try
to blow some outside air through the house.

Open the DOWNSTAIRS windows as well. The hot air needs to be replaced with
something.

I've also thought about tricking the furnace fan into running to circulate
cool air up from the basement, but I haven't really dug into it that much
yet. Would that be a worthwhile modification?

Most thermostats that I've seen have a switch for "Auto" and "On". Normally
it's in the auto position to let the furnace control the fan. In the on
position, the fan runs all the time. Might help out as well.

I don't have that. I would have to run an extra pair of wires down to
the furnace, and figger out where to hook them up; the thermostat is
on/off, heat only. I assume that this is something that can be done
easily as I have seen thermostats as you describe (and indeed if I ever
add A/C I will need to wire up this functionality.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel