Posted to alt.home.repair

Default inside of house does not cool off... at all?

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
Nate Nagel writes:

Hi all,

well, it's finally summer here in DC. Yay. House has no A/C. Yeah,
I know, but I loved the place and there's lots of trees for shade.
Here's the problem; it gets up over 90 degrees outside during the day.
With the windows closed and blinds drawn it gets up to about 80 in the
upstairs (rest of house is comfortable when I get home from work.) As
soon as the outside temp drops below the inside temp, I will open all
the upstairs windows and turn on the cheap floor fan that the PO's
left for me to try to blow some outside air through the house. It
doesn't seem to be working - outside temp will drop to 65 degrees or
cooler overnight but the bedroom will still be 75 degrees or so when I
wake up in the morning. I suspect if I could get the ambient temp. of
the upstairs down to the same temp as the outside and then shut
everything up when I left for work, it wouldn't even be as hot when I
got home, but I seem to be getting little or no cooling from having
the windows open.

To those of you who also persist in living without A/C, what's the
best way to deal with this

I'm a bit farther north (NJ).

Surrounded by trees and no AC.

The whole house fan does the trick.
There are days when it's too hot but not a lot of them.

I have two $20 stand fans, one up and one down, and I'm just fine most days
here in NY. The trees are what does it, though. I don't even have to close
the windows during the day, the sun just can't get through. We have lots of
light but no direct sunshine. It's perfect.