Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement water questions

On May 31, 2:06?pm, DaveR wrote:
On 30 May 2007 06:55:21 -0700, "
wrote:

At home resale time disclosing wet basement will either kill sale, or
you will be required to spend the bucks and have it fixed, exactly
what your thinking of doing now..... but inflation will likely make it
more costly

If you dont disclose it when the new owner gets water in,, if anyone
says oh that happened before INSTANT lawsuit

I was under the impression the owner had to disclose REPAIRS to solve
a wet basement, but not necessarily disclose the wet basement itself.

For example, in my house the owner installed their own sump pump. But
we quickly found out it's not good enough; in heavy rains we get water
in the basement. He claimed in passing they once had water problems
and got them fixed. But I don't think this was ever officially
disclosed.

Can I go after him to pay for a proper drainage system? How can we
prove that he knew about the problem, and that it's not something new
that occurred since we bought the house (5 years ago)?

If it's a matter of getting neighbors to rat on him, there's no chance
of that, since he was a very popular guy around here...

no the seller MUST DISCLOSE ANY PROBLEM, and what was done to fix it.

whats the cost to install a proper drain system? obviously the sump
wasnt enough.

check with a local lawyer.

when I sold a home a few years ago I was warned no disclose I was on
the hook for all repairs the new owner needed if the problem had EVER
been a issue in the past.