Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Nylon fasteners for heat pump grill?

"wgd" wrote in message
.net...
This is a very minor issue, but this group gives such great advice I
thought I'd ask anyway.

The metal nuts and washers securing the grill on the outside unit of my
heat pump rust over time. Not a big a deal. I just replace them.

However, I was wondering if I could use nylon washers and nuts instead.
They wouldn't rust and they might help to dampen vibrations from the
grill. Right now there is a metal flat washer, a lock washer, and a
nut. I didn't see any nylon lock washers so I'd be using a nylon flat
washer, a metal lock washer, and a nylon nut,

Here's a picture of the outdoor unit and the nylon washers and nuts.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...-fan-grill.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...shers-nuts.jpg

In general, are nylon fasteners just as good (or better?) than metal
for outdoor applications subject to weather?

they will break down from the uv.

use stainless steel ones.