Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Obsolete? (commentary)

"Bob the Tomato" wrote in message
Craftsman used to make some decent tools. I have a well made drill
that I used and abused for about 25 years. Replaced bearings and
brushes and other parts as needed.

Now it's time to get a gear for it. "Unavailable".

I had a Craftsman tablesaw from the mid 80s. I wanted to replace the
insert with a zero clearance one. Because of it's shape it would be
difficult to make one. "Unavailable".

Both of them had online parts diagrams and parts lists. They just
make a few select parts unavailable (and probably a few more each
year) so that you have to buy a new one. The drill you have is
useless junk without that planetary gear.

I have now developed an obsession to finding a replacement part for it
before I die. I know I'll run across an old one with a bad switch at
a garage sale. Screw the K-Mart managers who now run Sears. I'll
never buy another drill from them.

Bob the Tomato

Don't blame the managers, blame the consumer. It does take up space, ties
up dollars, etc to carry repair parts and they are usually priced to take
care of all of that. But, look at reality. Of the hundreds of thousands
of drills sold in 1980, how many do you think are still around? How many
people repair anything today? Aside from a few guys here, most consumers
are quick to just toss that tool that is not running so it is not at all
practical to carry parts 25 years later. Sears (as well as their supplier)
are in business to make a profit and I doubt there is much profit in 25 year
old parts.