Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement water questions

On May 30, 9:42�pm, "dnoyeB" wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2007 13:49:43 -0700, Vickie wrote:
Maybe I don't understand weep holes very well. *I was originally
thinking they were holes going completely through the cinder block to
the ground outside that's basement level, which sounds like it would
be inviting in a lot of water. *Are they actually holes drilled
partially into the cinder block from the inside and would release only
trapped water?? *If so that's not as bad as I invisioned.

Vickie

What you should really understand is the issue with water. *I suppose you
could say there are 2. *Discomfort, and damage.

Sump systems are designed to prevent damage. *They remove water pressur on
your basement walls, thus avoiding the wall and floor cracks that
eventually come from that pressure.

If you dont think you have a pressure problem, and you just want to stop
water intrusion, then why not find where it is coming in, and patch the
hole. *You will be increasing the water pressure on your walls, but if you
insist its not a problem and a rare occurance, then so be it.

I hate to find out later though that you cracked a wall/floor rather than
put in a proper relief system.

its impossible to completely seal walls and floors that absorb and
have cracks and openings from water getting in.

take the typical dry lock paint used on a block wall with water inside
it,

eventually the paint will bubble or the wall crack and mold will
likely grow on the wall,

your much better off keeping the walls dry and redirecting the water
away from your home