Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default Outdoor Flood Lights-Juice but no Light

"Clancy Wiggum" wrote in message
Charles wrote:

Don't quibble with just me Mark. NEMA recognizes "phantom" as a term
too: G

Jeff, in my humble opinion the term "phantom voltage" is not applicable in
this case. NEMA and others use it to refer to a capacitively induced
voltage into an open circuit and measured by a high-impedance meter. In
this case, the voltage is not a phantom but is a real voltage in a circuit
with high resistance (due to a bad connection).

Yet you still have not told the OP to remove the fixture and test the
actual voltage on the feed conductors.

Tell me, Corky, how is this man going to find your "bad connection"
without removing the fixture and testing the source first, eh? Seems
to me that is the very first step - so he knows whether to work on the
fixture or go back to the switch.

Look, Porky. If you have useful input for the OP, tend to it. Don't take
cheap shots at others trying to help.