Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement water questions

On May 30, 8:41�am, Vickie wrote:
I'm not as concerned of the cost. *We've only had water in the
basement that one time. *(An occassional small puddle in the corner
every 4 years or so was the only other water.) *I've had a few people,
including contractors, say to not get weep holes. *Others say to get
them. *The idea of them scares me.

Since the water was an issue one time I'm worried that once we dig
down to install trenches and a sump pump we're creating a easy means
of allowing water in, which will now need to be pumped out. * It seems
that instead of dealing with water once in a blue moon, as it is now,
we could have a big water problem once all these things are dug if we
have a pump failure. *(We bought a battery backup, but still...)

We are also waiting for our radon test results to come in. *We live in
northern NJ, which has a higher radon level. *I don't want any open
areas, so even if we get this whole system I'd want it closed.

Thank you-
Vickie

On May 29, 4:09 pm, " wrote:

The water was mainly coming in from one area, at the base of the steps
which lead down to the

basement from the floor above. ?These stairs are not near any exterior
basement wall and we

could not really see how the water was getting there.

Probably water coming up from UNDER floor, there are likely anchors of
the steps in the concrete, or a crack and water follows the easiest
path.

I had that in my old houseduring rain the water table would raise.

Having been down this road before I would spend trhe bucks and install
the entire system, it can do NO HARM! and the dry basement warranty is
a plus at hoime sale time

Other than cost do you have anything else you dislike about a
iunterior french drain?- Hide quoted text -

if your main concern is pump failure then install TWO sumps both
interconnected by the underground french drain each sump with its own
drain line going outdoors and perhaps each with a battery or if your
on city water a water backup pump.

True it will add some costs but not a whole lot.

Or just add a extra sump pit at a convenient place to exit a pump.

then wait awhile if you see a lot of water volume then have the
contractor or plumber add a second pump.

you may find water volume isnt much, and then you can relax, but know
a extra pump can easily be added any time you want