Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Light bulb question

In article . com, dean wrote:
On May 27, 10:57 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Paul O." wrote in message
Yes, I noticed that today while looking at the 100 watters at Lowes,
hadn't noticed it before. We currently have a 60 watt equivelent in each
fixture. The wife complains it's too dark in there.

I've always disliked the color of the light from CF because everything had a
greenish cast to it. Consequently, I don't use but two of them. I was in a
place last week that had them and the light was a very white, almost
daylight color. No one knew what brand they were but I'd much rather use
them as it was much more natural and brighter looking.

Edwin they are called Daylight CFs. Most stores have them now.

Other than the Sylvania CFs (actually what I would call "semi-warm
white"), "Daylight" fluorescents are icy cold pure white to slightly
bluish white that most find causing a "dreary" effect at typical home
lighting levels.

What I think are good are 3500K, "whiter shade of warm white":
Sylvania's "daylight" CFs (Lowes), and N:Vision "Bright White" (Home
Depot). There are others, but these are the main retail-available
ones with screw bases.

- Don Klipstein )