Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Outdoor Flood Lights-Juice but no Light

"CooSer" wrote in message
I am a little baffled. I have flood lights that used to work. They
stopped working so I replaced the bulbs with indoor/outdoor type flood
lights. This did not fix the problem. I checked the sockets with my
little $6 voltage detector and there is power. In fact, there is power in
the sockets whether the switch is on or off.

Now could it not be working because I need a special 'Outdoor' bulb? Or,
since I get a power reading with the switch on or off, is there something
wrong in the wiring?

Any suggestions would be great!

BTDT, multiple times in various houses for me and relatives. IMHO, most
likely cause is that the fixture has crapped out, being out in the weather
year round and all. Postive test for that, is to remove fixture, and hang a
3-dollar pigtail socket with a bulb from the wires. The 3 bucks is well
invested- even if you only use it every couple years, a pigtail is a handy
thing to have around. Outdoor fixtures are cheap. Made cheaply and far away,
but cheap.

aem sends...