Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter beecrofter is offline

Default Ideas for tie-downs for a trailer

On May 29, 8:10 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On 27 May 2007 16:24:31 -0700, beecrofter wrote:
-snip-

weld down the end links of 8" lengths of chain

Why 8" lengths? Seems like that would be a noisey, dangerous
bunch of flails as you go down the highway.

I used 20 sets of double links. Bolted one link to the trailer
frame & it keeps the other link from flopping around. Welding would
be nice- but then you'd need to paint.

I got mine at lowes & used their cutter to chop it up. -- Also saved
me a few bucks because I didn't pay for all the lost links. While I
was chopping away 2 employees walked by and watched me- at first they
thought I was just chopping every link. When they saw I was buying
short pieces, they wished me luck and moved on.

Jim

Both ends are welded down, giving you about 6" to tie into between
them. If too noisy you can always wrap them in tape or fish them
therough some hose before welding. It also lets you slide a 2x4 across
the bed through two sets.