Posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.boats,alt.home.repair
skunker skunker is offline

Default Do I need to start over on my lawn according to Doug Kanter aka JoeSpareBedroom

On May 28, 9:55 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"skunker" wrote in message

oups.com...

Hey everyone I wanted to report on my backyard's progress since I last
posted my message. Almost two months later, my backyard has
DRAMATICALLY improved. Now, get this, I spent 0 dollars and check out
the before and after pictures:

Before (March 31):
http://www.ogmda.com/temp/lawn/backyard1.jpg

Today (May 28):
http://www.ogmda.com/temp/lawn/by2.jpg

I must admit that Mother Nature is proabbly responsible for the
dramatic turn around. We've ben getting about 2 inches of rain per
week for the last few weeks and it has been cooler than usual. Also, I
did the following to my yard: 1.) Got a soil test done and saw that I
only needed to add nitrate. Luckily, my neighbor had some and I was
able to save money. 2.) I hand pulled all the weeds myself--and after
two weeks of doing this, I no longer needed to do this as the grass
was starting to take over and crowd them out. 3.) I never watered. The
rain did it for me. 4.) I laid mulch on the lawn's bare spots 5.) I
built a bird house for a bird that specializes in eating the kind of
bugs I had in my grass. 6.) I cut the grass with a minimum height of 2
1/2" inches for my grass type.

That's about it. As you can see, I did not need to resod. However, my
frontyard is going a little slower and I am probably gonna have to
resod some parts of it.

Thanks for all the tips.

My opinion is your area is probably Texas. Or something inline with central
USA. All have been getting an unusual amount of rainfall. SE USA is
definitely on its way to a drought.

All my St. Augustine was in the condition in the first photo last
summer/autumn. Most of it has returned as in your second photo. Same fix.
Mother nature's cooler temps, overcast even when not raining preventing
dryup of the upper soil surface, and regular rainfall.
Dave- Hide quoted text -

That's exactly it. I am also located in San Antonio.