Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default The reason for Home Depot Plywood Lack of Quality

"todd" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message
Brian Henderson wrote in
news
On Mon, 28 May 2007 03:25:44 -0500, "todd" wrote:

Would that be the "don't build a large city below sea level" lesson
or another one?

And the morons want to build it BELOW SEA LEVEL AGAIN!!!!!

Some people never learn.

Well, half or so of the Netherlands is below sea level. Yes it gives
problems, but that's why they have engineers. Most of the time it
works very well. Sometimes it doesn't (January 1953 was bad), and a
new "plan" is instituted. Somewhere there is a lesson or two in that
experience for New Orleans.

Best regards
Han

Well, when half the country is at or below sea level, you don't have
much choice. I submit that we do have a choice as to what parts of
NOLA to rebuild.

todd

The biggest choice of the "Deltaplan" was to substitute dikes (levees)
with increased height around each island in the Dutch Delta with an
almost single dike "in front of" most of the islands. Later it was
decided to make a movable barrier rather than an immovable one in front
of one of the main inlets, and thus keep the Oosterschelde more or less
tidal, without the need to increase dike heights along its whole
shoreline.

Very similar things can be done for the Mississippi delta (I'm a
biochemist, so I do know what I am talking about grin).

--
Best regards
Han