Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default The Coca-Cola gambit- a new technique, or wishful finishing?

On Mon, 28 May 2007 07:33:45 +0200, Peter Wells
wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2007 04:11:33 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

SNIP

I was wondering if there is some kind of waterproofing agent that can
soak into wood? If so, maybe you could just fill the vase up with it,
cover it for a day or so, then decant the remainder back into the
container. A final stupid idea: what about that wrench handle
dip? It's nice and thick so it should be easy to sloosh around
inside a piece, and it doesn't have to be strong to hold water--the
vase would supply all the support.

SNIP

Now, that last idea... that isn't stupid at all, and to be perfectly
honest, I think it might be the best suggestion in the bunch. I
haven't used or thought about that stuff in quite a while, but I bet
it'd do the trick very nicely.

Suggestion from SWMBO on the same basis that the vase itself provides
support: trap a plastic bag of some kind between the neck of the vase
and a turned ring (like an end-grain fitted-box lid with a hole in
the middle). You might need to reinforce the locking ring with a dowel
or some such device to prevent splitting along the grain.

I had thought of that, but I'd be concerned that something like the
roses we have next to the house would cut right through a plastic bag
when the thorns touch it. The wrench dip is pretty thick, and seems
like it would be at least mostly self-healing if it was punctured.