Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Ideas for tie-downs for a trailer

"dean" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 27, 12:07 am, "aemeijers" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message

oups.com...I have a
16x6.5 trailer with 6" tall steel side walls. I regularly
carry a load of wood rounds, and I want to easily tie a canvas down. I
figure I need 8 rope tie-down points, and would rather not pay up the
$8 each for cheap weld-on D-rings. What else would be simple to make
or cheap to by? I'm ok at welding (at least in a straight line!)

Premade D-rings? All the trailers and dump bodies I saw on the jobsites
as a
kid had those made up out of rebar sections that looked like they were
formed using various nooks and channels on the trailer, and tacked in
place
and spray painted.

But seriously- keep in mind that they have to look 'real' to any cop that
stops you, lest you get a loose load or defective equipment cite. Rather
than the trailer place, I'd look at the local farm supply store- most of
the
regional chains keep a pretty good stock of basic ironmongery like that.

aem sends...

Not sure how I would go about bending rebar into a U, that stuff is
pretty tough to work with. Heat it up and hammer over an anvil?

A piece of pipe, and something heavy with a hole in it, like a dumpster or
anvil, or lowboy trailer. Stick one end in hole. Slip pipe over the other
end. Manuver till the point you want to bend is between pipe and hole, and
pull. No, it ain't easy, and takes a little practice. Or just look in the
aisle where they sell the rebar- along with the straight sticks, they often
sell preformed shapes like that. 'U' shapes are pretty common in concrete
pouring, where you will be tying another pour to the first one.

aem sends...