Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RBJ RBJ is offline

Default Static caused by volume knob in speaker set

You could try to clean the resistor-contact with a good spray for this
purpose.
But also check the the electrolytic condenser mounted and which is supposed
to kill such noise.

regards

skrev i melding
oups.com...
Hi - I have a set of speakers for my computer which connect to it via
a box which has a power button and volume knob. Replacing the box is
not an option as it is made specifically for the speaker set. For some
time now, I will hear static every once in awhile, which can be
stopped by spinning the volume knob a bit. Also, if I turn the knob
very slowly, it causes static. So I imagine there is a mechanical
connection problem in the volume knob.

I just opened the case up and see that the knob is a component marked
on the board, "VR100, volume". I assume this is a variable resistor.
The piece itself says "AK(ohm symbol)X4" stamped on it, and engraved
into it on each side is "KIE". The piece is soldered into the board
with 12 pins, 3 columns, 4 rows.

Where can I find a replacement and what exactly is this called? I have
soldering experience building little things for fun but have never
attempted to repair anything like this.. but I think it'd be fun, not
to mention quite cost effective! I'll finally be able to listen to
music without fear of static interrupting

Thanks in advance!!