Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Static caused by volume knob in speaker set

Hi - I have a set of speakers for my computer which connect to it via
a box which has a power button and volume knob. Replacing the box is
not an option as it is made specifically for the speaker set. For some
time now, I will hear static every once in awhile, which can be
stopped by spinning the volume knob a bit. Also, if I turn the knob
very slowly, it causes static. So I imagine there is a mechanical
connection problem in the volume knob.

I just opened the case up and see that the knob is a component marked
on the board, "VR100, volume". I assume this is a variable resistor.
The piece itself says "AK(ohm symbol)X4" stamped on it, and engraved
into it on each side is "KIE". The piece is soldered into the board
with 12 pins, 3 columns, 4 rows.

Where can I find a replacement and what exactly is this called? I have
soldering experience building little things for fun but have never
attempted to repair anything like this.. but I think it'd be fun, not
to mention quite cost effective! I'll finally be able to listen to
music without fear of static interrupting

Thanks in advance!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

None of those markings seems to reflect a 'real' value, and the fact that it
has 12 pins would suggest it to be a four channel 'special'. Are you sure
that the first symbol in the string is an " A " ? The rest of that would be
ok if it was instead a number like a "4" say. It would then read " 4K ohms
x 4 " ie four individual pots (variable resistors as you think of them)
of 4k ohms each. Either way, it is unlikely that you are going to find a
suitable substitute from anywhere, that would be a drop-in replacement. Four
channel pots are quite rare anyway. Most likely, the existing pot unit would
clean, as the problem goes away temporarily when you quickly rotate it. You
need to pop to your local electronics emporium - Radio Shack, Maplin etc
depending on where in the world you are, and purchase a can of switch
cleaner with lubricant. If you don't have such a store near you, there are
plenty of on-line electronics stores where you could get it.

Just squib a generous (but not ridiculous) amount into each of the four pots
in the assembly. You might find four suitable holes in the control's case
where you can do this, but if not, the four places that the rows of 3 pins
exit the case, will be good points to spray the cleaner/lubricant into. Then
rotate the shaft back and forth vigourously for 30 seconds. You can do that
bit with it switched on if you like. You should be able to hear the crackle
diminish, and go away as you rotate, if you have been sucessful. Depending
on the quality of the pot, you may get any result from a total and
long-lasting, or even permanent cure, to just a reduction in how often it
does it.

Good luck d;~)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
Most likely, the existing pot unit would
clean, as the problem goes away temporarily when you quickly rotate it. You
need to pop to your local electronics emporium - Radio Shack, Maplin etc
depending on where in the world you are, and purchase a can of switch
cleaner with lubricant. If you don't have such a store near you, there are
plenty of on-line electronics stores where you could get it.

The best stuff I've found is Caiglabs De-Oxit. It worked after a short
lived fix with the Radio Shack cleaner. It's been over a year and
no static problems (yet).\

It's expensive (about $10 for a little tube), but you just use a little.
One tube will fix about 100 pots.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RBJ RBJ is offline

You could try to clean the resistor-contact with a good spray for this
purpose.
But also check the the electrolytic condenser mounted and which is supposed
to kill such noise.

regards

skrev i melding
oups.com...

Door knob set Lawrie UK diy 3 March 28th 06 02:20 AM
Volume control at the speaker? Leonard Caillouet Electronics Repair 0 August 3rd 05 10:48 PM
FA 10 volume set electrical books Robert Swinney Metalworking 0 December 17th 04 06:57 PM
Continued: Static on amp, not volume related Dean Electronics Repair 1 December 17th 04 05:51 PM
Static on amplifier, not volume related Dean Electronics Repair 4 December 16th 04 03:12 AM