Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Home Depot Plywood Quality

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Mike,

THD has a 30 day satisfaction return policy on just about everything.
You'd be surprised at what they will allow to be returned.

I guess I figured wood was one of those "non-returnable" items. Like

buying
anything electrical at an autoparts store. Especially after I have cut it.

As we all would - based on what makes common sense. I found it quite
surprising when I discovered that one could buy something like piece of
plywood, and return it once we cut it up, but you sure can.

I have a problem with all of the posts here about lumber that guys go
out and buy (... and select from the pile themselves), and then post
complaints about the inferior quality of such things as should have
been obvious when they were buying it.

In my case, it's not like I have many options. Home Depot or Lowes are
about it for cabinet plywood. There used to be a hardwood supplier in

town,
but they closed down a few years ago. Some of the lumber yards "might"

have
cabinet ply, but it's not typically out where you can see it. You usually
have to pay first, and hope there's something good when you drive back to
pick it up.

So, I guess I figured plywood is plywood, and would be about the same
everywhere. Like I said, live and learn...

Plys are easy to see, right on the rack. Fills are easy to see.
Shame on you for not taking the time to look it over better

In all fairness, I "did" examine the sheets in the store. I dug through
several sheets to find the best three in the stack. But even the "best"

had
problems. I also didn't notice any real voids in the ply's on the edge.
Maybe one or two small ones, but I had no idea the whole sheet was filled
with them.

As for the thin veneer, it's not visible to the naked eye. What I
"thought" was the veneer layer on each side was actually just another core
ply. Even after cutting and intensely examining a small piece, I can't see
the veneer layer. It's that thin...

I also had no way of knowing the wood would splinter so badly when
crosscut, until I cut into it.

Hey Anthony - I might have been harsher than I should have been in my reply
to your post. I'm sorry for that. It's just that we see posts like yours
almost weekly here, and at a point you begin to think that no-one should be
surprised by what they get in a piece of plywood at THD at this point.

--

-Mike-