Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] awiecek@hotmail.com is offline

Default Mower engine - UPDATE

On May 26, 4:54 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 26 May 2007 13:38:06 -0700, awiecek wrote:

No choke on a GTS engine. Common problem is the bowl supply tube (actually
the bolt that holds the bowl on) gets gunked up on the bottom. Make sure
the holes are clear. Same goes for the primer. I have a Personal Pace 6.5
hp electric start that I bought new 5 years ago. Let bad gas in it just
one off season and the damn thing would not start. Addressed those two
areas I described and it starts on the first crank after pushing the
primer rapidly several times when cold otherwise no prime needed.

--

Thanks for the reply

I'm pretty sure that's the same Toro my parents have. It's a 6.5 with
an electric start and no need to push it as it will keep pace with
you.
Anyhoo... I checked, and cleaned the bolt, the supply tube from the
bowl is clear as well.
I'm just not sure about the other little channels in that carb (there
are a couple of them there). But I will take the carb apart again and
try to make sure those are clear.
My parents kept the gas in it since last year. It ran ok about 3 weeks
ago but then they tried to cut the grass the following week and it
just wouldn't start.

I've found that it's better to hit the primer maybe 10 times or so rapidly
rather than the 3 times slowly that the sticker says. Get your parents
some Sta-Bil additive and have them use it all season. I do it on
everything and have snow blowers, trimmers, saws, chippers, blowers,
mowers. I let the Toro sit this winter without doing a thing and it
started right up thanks no doubt to that fuel stabilizer.

I'm sure you will figure it out.

I hope so.... thanks for the advice.