Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default OT: rail travel. Was: The reason for Home Depot Plywood Lack of Quality

B A R R Y wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 May 2007 01:14:14 GMT, Han wrote:

A simple 1 hour train ride during rush hour in the Netherlands
(Ede-Wag to Amsterdam Central) costs euro 11.80 (~US$ 15.93).

On NJTransit, during rush hour, Allendale to NY Penn (also about 1 hr)
costs $8.00.

Who is subsidizing more?

In that rare case, probably the Americans, but simple ticket price
dosen't provide enough information.

That's the easy way to compare for me at this time. I have found
similarly several or more years ago. Rail service in the Netherlands has
declined in general, first with decreasing investments and maintenance by
the state owned company, then gotten worse with privatization. Maybe
I'll have better reports after my next trip.

On the other side of NY, a one way, rush hour ride on Metro North,
from Bridgeport, CT to Grand Central Terminal, which is also about an
hour, is $15.50 US.

When I lived just outside Queens in Floral Park, LI, prices and travel
times were similar to what one now pays from Fair Lawn, NJ. Notable
differences are in the treatment of passengers by rail road staff, much
better in NJ (at least on the Bergen line).

The New York metro area has good commuter rail service.

And choices between different rail road lines, and buses.

As a whole, our longer distance rail system is a joke to
what I have experienced in Europe.

Only real long distance was NY to Seattle. What an experience! Speed
and absence of priority over freight was sort of a bummer, but the
ability to take a shower on the train was very good!

I also like the Acela (and the "regional") between NY, Boston, and DC.
It takes only a little longer than the torture via airports and the mini
seats in planes, butn then I can walk to the local train here and walk to
my son's place in Somerville, from the T.

European high speed trains are indeed comfortable and relatively fast.
Brussels - Paris is really great on the Thalys. I also traveled Florence
to Netherlands once, but that is really now better by cheap air,
especially when time becomes a factor.

I was lead to believe that high road fuel taxes help pay for the
high-quality European railroads. Is that not the case?

European fuel taxes go to the general funds, generally speaking, they
aren't dedicated AFAIK. The European experience is also if you build it,
they will come, or traffic will fill the roads no matter how much is
built and widened. Traffic jams should (IMHO) be encouraged so that more
will be spent on (subsidized) public transportation, which is also more
energy efficient.

--
Best regards
Han