Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Plywood Quality

On May 25, 12:10 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Two (2) mistakes:

1) Walking thru the doors of Home Depot.
2) Thinking they even know what Birch cabinet plywood is, much less
sell it.

Plywood distributors exist for a reason.

Lew

You know, as a sidebar to this, Home Depot sold quality plywood a few
years ago. (5?- 7?) It was the same stuff I got at my hardwoods guy,
even the same stamps sometimes. It was just a about 20% less.

Then they sold a hardwood faced ply that was called something like
"cabply" or "cabinet ply" with no claims as to what wood it was. It
was clear, had the appearance of first veneer cut ash, not anything at
all resemblign birch, but was very close grained. Not porous at all.
It came from Chile, so of course we called it Chiliply. I used a lot
of it for all kinds of things stained and painted.

Now they sell that junk. When I built the aforementioned tables, I
was really surprised as some of that stuff was a full 3/16" out of
square! OK, we are all past thinking that a sheet of anything is
square. But 3/16"?

My point is that when they sold the better stuff, there was a thriving
market for it. A lot of the cabinet guys and smaller contractors ate
that stuff up. Many times I would go to HD to get some, and they
would be out. At the price, it made wonderful small cabinets, paint
grade vanities, uitlity room cabinets, etc. I know it is a function
of money/time on the rack/bottom line, etc., but I can't figure out
why they QUIT carrying a better grade since it was selling. The sold
the daylights out of that stuff.

Now they have the Chinaply whenever I would want it. Problem is, I
don't. There is so much in the racks, apparently a lot of others
don't either.

Robert