Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders eganders is offline

Default Home Depot Plywood Quality

On May 25, 11:44 am, HerHusband wrote:
Leon,

I'm building a new entertainment center and just bought three sheets
of 3/4" birch plywood and one sheet of 1/2" birch plywood from my
local Home Depot. This has to be some of the worst plywood I have
ever purchased!

Learning to look at what you are buying is a good practice.

Yeah, I usually inspect the lumber I buy with much greater detail, but I
guess I was busy looking at my lady and talking with her instead.

BUT when the plywood becomes delaminated or pieces start falling out I
Take It Back. Sure it is cut but the piece is defective, how would
you know if you had not cut it?

Good point, but it's all hindsight now. Assuming I don't destroy the
project when I start sanding, it will all work out in the end.

Anthony

I had a similar experience, but the real problem was in finishing it.
The oak veneer I got was so thin that the pores opened to the adhesive
surface underneath. The stain would not take on the adhesive, so I
had a poor stain job. I ended up having to use Mohawk's Blendal
sticks to correct it.