Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Plywood Quality

On May 25, 10:44 am, HerHusband wrote:

Assuming I don't destroy the project when I start sanding, it will all work out in the end.

You really need to be extra careful when sanding. I finished up some
tables for the VFW (utility type tables) and this was the material
that was in their budget.

I have never seen face veneer that thin. I don't think you could
spray it on any thinner. I sanded right through that stuff due to
some little bumps in the underlying substrate. Luckily, the face of
the pieces weren't all that interesting, so with some finish on the
top it didn't matter.

I used to buy the "China ply" at HD and it was a decent product. No
matter whose plywood it is, it won't be the baltic/russian/cabinet ply
stuff with no voids at all in the layers of wood, so that wasn't a big
thing.

But the faces on the stuff I bought last week were really bad. The
veneer splintered really badly, some of the pieces were covered with
footballs (plugs), and the pink glue they used to press the plies
together stunk like something was burning.

So for me that stuff has not been relegated to utility/paint grade
material.

I fear that if I go to my hardwood supplier though, his $60 a sheet
birch won't be that much better.

Robert